Sunday, November 29, 2009

What is Art?

Frustrated by boring beige walls, and inspired by Jackson and Luke Gaido's fabulous creations that serve as art in their parents dining room, we decided to take matters into our own hands.

I had looked in art galleries around Caracas for art to hang on the walls in our apartment, but could not find just the 'right' thing.  I also balked at some of the very high prices.  

I found an art supply store in Caracas and bought three canvases  I thought would be a good size to hang on the wall space I wanted.  I then picked out a few large tubes of acrylic paint I thought would look good with the furnishings and rug we have now.

I decided to paint each canvas a base coat of a different color, and then allow the kids to finger paint over the base in a contrasting color.

I got up early on Saturday morning and started painting canvases.  Chris joined me after his workout and helped me while he surfed the web and drank coffee.  We let the base coats dry and made breakfasts for the kids.

After the base coats were dry, we brought in the kids.  The only instructions we gave were to keep the paint on the canvas and not the table and we let them go to town.  They smeared the paint on their hands and created their masterpieces.  After they were done, I went behind them and added dark brown "low lights" to give the pictures a common theme.

We watched them dry and were amazed by how fabulous they turned out.  We let them dry overnight and got up early and hung them.

I know abstract art is not for everybody, and heck, before this project it was not really for us either, but we love them.  I will have them and cherish them forever.  They mean something wonderful to us — and isn't that was art is all about?

We are now taking orders.









No comments:

Post a Comment