Thursday, July 16, 2009

Not To Be Outdone.....Daddy's Big Adventure


Daddy flew all night Wednesday, July 1 to come to Caracas. I checked into the hotel, took a shower and headed to the office. Tired! Saturday, July 4 – Independence Day, I worked in the office getting ready for a big trip around South America. Saturday night I moved into our apartment – one rented bed, a rented dining room table, lots of dust and dead bugs and no water. We have water rationing and it is only on a few times a day. So much for washing the rented bed linens before sleeping on them! Once I finally found the linens, I realized they were new, so no big deal. Sunday I worked getting ready for dinner at my bosses house Sunday night and his review of the preliminary 2010 Latin America strategic plan.

Day 1: July 6

Monday morning the driver picked me up at 5:30 AM and we drove to the airport. My boss, 3 coworkers and myself boarded a huge private jet – they called it a Challenger. Two pilots greeted us with coffee and breakfast. I could not believe the acceleration when we took off. We headed to the burgeoning metropolis of Riohacha Colombia, a town in Northeastern Colombia. When we landed I realized I was essentially in a desert. Cactus and sand everywhere. We were picked up by armored Toyota Land Cruisers and taken to Chevron’s Offices/Camp. Chevron has two natural gas platforms nearby and an onshore facility in Colombia. We had a meeting in the morning, had lunch and then went to our rooms (like dorm rooms) to change into overalls. The walk from the meeting room was interrupted several times by beautiful birds and iguanas in my path. Very hot there. We then got back in the land cruisers – 4 of them – and caravanned 90 minutes through moonscape to Chevron’s plant where gas is processed. Along the way, Chevron’s Colombia Country manager, Dave Bantz, told me all about the native people of the area. They live in little communities all over the desert. I did not see anyone, but saw lots of goats and little burros and fences made out of cactus – I hope the natives had good gloves. Along the way we saw one building, a huge school Chevron had build for the native children. As I never saw anyone or any other indication of human life, I had to trust them on the school story. The road ended and we four wheeled it through mud for another few miles until we got to a checkpoint manned by some serious Colombian army hombres with lots of automatic firepower. Again, in the middle of nowhere! A bit further we got to Chevron’s gas processing facility. We were given a tour by some very nice folks, sweated a bit in our hardhats and overalls and climbed back into our armored cars for the trip back. Got back to the camp, took a shower and went into the town of Riohacha for the inauguration of some church lights Chevron had paid for. Huge event. I met the town mayor, the governor of the local state (Gueria) and the local bishop. The lights were turned on, the speeches recited and a band played. Night over, not hardly. Drove back to camp in our armored caravan to find the local employees waiting for us with their families and a huge feast under the palm trees outside. Not one bug. Received local gifts including Colombian Coffee – if only I had a grinder…… The local band, the Chevron Brass, then played for 3 hours over dinner and some local girls were hired to give Colombian Dance demonstrations. Miss Gueria (I’m not kidding here) even came to dance with my boss. Mary Claire would have loved it as the band was good and fun to dance to. Asleep at midnight. Day one over.

Day 2: July 7

Met with Colombia team from 7 AM until 9AM. Rushed to airport. Board plane – no lines, parking issues or security – I want a plane! Spent next 9 hours flying over remote Venezuela rainforest and Brazilian rainforest. Did not see many roads. Unbelievable resources and land South America has to offer. Drank some unbelievable Napa wine on the plane, worked, talked, slept. Pretty comfortable seats. Got to sit in pilots seat for awhile and pretended to be Kevin Dogget. Got to Rio around 7 PM. Armored van ride for 60 minutes to hotel on legendary Ipanema beach. Guys playing volleyball all night with their feet. A really beautiful town. Went to sleep.

Day 3: July 8

My grandmother’s birthday. Happy birthday gram! In office by 7:30. Meetings all day with all kinds of people. Some familiar faces, but many new ones. Busy. Left office at 6 PM to take tram up SugarLoaf Mountain for a Chevron celebration of our first offshore project in Brazil. Brazilian Mojitos, sushi, beer, speeches and a band. Really fun and on top of a mountain overlooking the city. Why did I not bring my camera? Bed at midnight.

Day 4: July 9

Meetings at 7 AM. All day. Back to SugarLoaf Mountain for another party. This one more formal with Brazilian oil company Petrobras and Japanese companies as well as many others. Same drinks, different hors-derves – where is the sushi? Speeches inside – I get to sit down with leadership team on arena floor with some Petrobras and Japanese businessmen. Speeches too long. Brazilian pop singer Maria Rita sings for 2 hours. Japanese guys at my table fall asleep, I wanted to. No one dances. In bed by 11Am.

Day 5: July 10

Leave hotel at 5 AM. Plane takes us to Buenos Aires. In Chevron’s downtown office by 9 AM. Meetings all day. Done at 4. Got to hotel and a few minutes to explore city before group dinner. Bought a case of Argentinean wine and some stuff for girls. Unbelievable city. Absolutely cannot wait to go back. Really good dinner with 20 new Chevron colleagues.

Day 6: July 11

Meeting in hotel, back on plane to Caracas. Really nice nap. Home to apartment with no water again at 9 PM. Sleep……

More to come. Tired now.

No comments:

Post a Comment